1. A method has been devised for estimating the
amount of reduced silver, formed by the action of
pure sugar charcoal on silver nitrate solutions.
2. Determinations have been made of (1) adsorption
of silver, and (2) reduced silver, and (3) the acid
3. The influence of the following factors has been
investigated: - (1). concentration of silver nitrate.
(2). Acidity of the solutions.
(3). Period of contact of the charcoal with
the silver nitrate.
(4). Treatment with air, oxygen, nitrogen,
hydrogen, and carbon dioxide,at different
4. Determinations of the adsorption of (i.) nitric
acid, (2) sodium hydroxide, and (3) iodine, have
been made in the case of certain of the charcoals.
5. A hypothesis has been advanced to correlate the