1. The clinical condition is described with
special reference to etiology.
2. The similarity in the histology of all
papillomata is noted. The connection between
genital warts, common warts and laryngeal
papillomata is considered.
3. These papillomata are examples of a transmissible
tumour in man.
4. These tumours are similar to the Shope
papilloma of rabbits.
5. The older and more recent theories of the
etiology are discussed. It is concluded that
these warts are probably caused by a virus the
nature of which must remain in doubt at present.
6. Attempts were made to transmit the lesion
to animals. It was found that mice, guinea pigs,
rabbits and a monkey were all unsuitable,
probably owing to the species specificity of the