This study examines three "branches of industry during
the Austrian and German occupation of Russian Poland. The
coal industry, after a period of dislocation in 1914-1915,
was in "both zones under military direction and was exploited intensively, mainly to supply fuel for military railway consumption. Improvements to infrastructure and plant were
made during the occupation, although productivity fell, due
to inputs shortages and loss of skilled labour to Silesia.
In the metallurgical industries and textiles, both branches heavily dependent on imported raw materials and geared to Russian demand, production largely ceased on the outbreak
of war, with the exception of plants supplying the military
market. In the German zone the Bilaystok textile industry
and some Warsaw and Dabrowa engineering plants continued
thus employed through the war; elsewhere in this zone, in
view of persisting closures, the export to the Reich of raw
materials, skilled labour and finally finished goods was
decreed, although capital stock was largely left intact.
In the Austrian zone the authorities attempted to prevent
drainage of resources and instigated the reactivation of
some part of capacity in iron and steel production. In both
regions in the second half of the war some revival of domestic demand combined with military orders to reactivate production in finishing plant in the metallurgical branch. Although all branches suffered varying degrees of skilled labour loss and capital stock depletion, and were by 1918 largely drained of raw materials, the major problems of post-war reconstruction were structural, linked with severance from Russia and union with Upper Silesia.