1. The proportions of m- and p-tert.-butyl-toluenes produced in the reaction between tert.-butyl
chloride and toluene with aluminium chloride as
catalyst have been estimated.
2. The proportions of m- and p-tert.-butyltoluenes in the same reaction with ferric chloride
as catalyst have been estimated.
3. The observation of Bialobrzewski was shown
to be definitely wrong by proving that m-tert.-butyltoluene was a product of the reaction mentioned in
(2), and that it was present to the extent of 65$ of
the total monosubstituted derivatives.
4. The reaction between n-butyl chloride and
toluene was carried out for the first time, and mand p-sec.-butyltoluenes shown to be products of
5. The reactions between n-butyl chloride and
both chloro- and bromobenzenes were carried out for
the first time, and m- and p~derivatives of the
halogeno-benzenes shown to be formed in both cases.
6. tert.Butyl chloride and bromobenzene, when
allowed to react' in presence of aluminium chloride,
were shown to produce m- and p-bromo-tert.-butylbenzenesin a proportion of 70% to 30% respectively,
which disagrees with the result of Boedtker who
reported that the p-derivative only was formed.