The purposes of this thesis could be summarised as follows:
1. To examine the joint and separate careers of James and John Maopherson until
1778; and to place James Hacpherson's literary interests in perspective, by showing
them as the means to an end, and not an end in themselves.
3. To illustrate the modus operandi of two successful political adventurers.
4. To identify all the people with whom the Maophersons had any dealings until 1778.
5. To identify, as far no available evidence allow, nil the pseudonyms which they
used as political journalists until 1773.
6. To provide a background for the study of their later careers.
7. To examine all their correspondence (especially thoir Gaelic correspondence)